Forum | Ask for help

Damon Vaudrey

ME4?

By Damon Vaudrey from TVNZ (New Zealand) - 17 January 2017 at 07:02 (6 comments)

Hi there

We're currently in the process of setting up our new Kahuna vision mixer to run under Mosart. We've got 3 physical MEs and we've made a 'virtual' ME4 which we're hoping to use for basic functions like video wall transitions.

We enabled ME4 in the Mosart prefs, but when recalling a template that performs an event on ME4, the AV automation log window says 'ME4 invalid region', and the only thing that happens on the desk itself is ME4 goes to preview (not to PGM), and no action is performed on the ME itself.

Not sure if anyone knows offhand any tricks to get this working - if it's even possible at all?

Thanks in advance!

Damon @ TVNZ News,  Auckland.

Comments
Damon Vaudrey
By Silvio Bacchetta from Sky Italia (Italy) - 01 February 2017 at 14:15

On K9600, I always prefer to have the highest ME as PGM,  but this shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Please check for options in the BVS protocol option window of the Kahuna, and make sure each ME is controlled by the same logical number it has.  if I remember correctly ME 4 will default to PP,  maybe this is the problem.

Hope it helps.

Damon Vaudrey
By Damon Vaudrey from TVNZ (New Zealand) - 02 February 2017 at 21:56

Hi and thanks for the reply Silvio!

Will check those settings...

Cheers

Damon.

Damon Vaudrey
By Silvio Bacchetta from Sky Italia (Italy) - 02 February 2017 at 22:45

Here is page 540 from the manual. The settings are on the box to the left. It should also be possibile to remap some crosspoint in case you need it.

Cheers.

Damon Vaudrey
By Silvio Bacchetta from Sky Italia (Italy) - 02 February 2017 at 22:51

I'm sorry, I can't attach pictures. Here is the text from the manual.

The Map ME parameter allows the user to offset the Logical M/E with the Editor ME, so for example the "PP" (Program/Preview) can be set to any of the available Logical ME's.

The 160 configurable crosspoints and 68 fixed crosspoints can be selected to the following buses for each M/E (PP, M/E1, M/E2, M/E3, M/E4, M/E5) in the User Config - Crosspoint Mapping menu.
•

BKGD A
•BKGD B
•KEY 1 FILL
•KEY 1 KEY
•KEY 3 FILL
•KEY 3 KEY
•KEY 4 FILL
•KEY 4 KEY
•KEY 2 FILL
•KEY 2 KEY

Crosspoint selection for Auxes
160 Configurable crosspoints and 64 fixed crosspoints can be selected to be used with the Aux busses.

Damon Vaudrey
By Silvio Bacchetta from Sky Italia (Italy) - 21 April 2017 at 19:33

Hello! Any news about this?

I'm setting up a new K9600 with Mosart and I have replicated the problem. While you can assign logical MEs to automation MEs, the Sony BVS protocol can drive ME1-3 and ME4 as Program (PP) only, 4 keyers per ME and 16 AUX.

You can easily check this behaviour if you have the Mosart test suite installed, there is an application will show you the commands sent on the signal port.

The Kahuna also have an Automation protocol (released August 2016), sold, as BVS, as a separate option. We don't have it, but can control up to 5 MEs with 8 keyers, as well as direct macro recall (or so I have been told) without the need for a timeline for that. You may want to check if this fits your needs.

Regards.

Damon Vaudrey
By Damon Vaudrey from TVNZ (New Zealand) - 24 April 2017 at 00:03

Hi Silvio

Sorry for slow reply - wasn't getting any email alerts about replies.

Thanks for the very helpful info there - it now makes sense given what the Sony protocol is capable of!

We're now using ME4 just as a standalone option to feed video walls with adhoc items manually as a last-minute option.

Thank you also about the info on the Kahuna automation protocol. We got our new Kahuna late last year, but only appears to be using the Sony protocol. However the additional features on the Kahuna protocol would be awesome as having to use timelines for transition wipes etc is quite frustrating. Macro recall would be great! Will look into that...

Many thanks again!

Damon.

You must be logged in to write a comment.

Login

Login New user Forgot password?

Adria News d.o.o.
Al Jazeera
Australian News Channel Pty Ltd
BBC
DR
Expressen
Globosat
KITV
MEDIALAAN
NDR